On february 27, the films world celebrated the 89th Academy Awards in Los Angeles, California. We could watch the ceremony, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, live on ABC. It was a night with big hopes on the most nominated movie La La Land, all the eyes were on the host and all the stars reunited at the Dolby Theatre.
The show started with Justin Timberlake perfoming Can’t Stop the Feeling live, making all the people dance. Later we laugh for a while with the opening speech by the host, with more perfomances by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Auli’i Cravalho, Stin, John Legend and Sara Bareilles.
As all the movies fans I had my own predictions that I share during the day yesterday on my twitter account, but those predictions were destroyed since the first award in a show with good and BAD surprises.
My favorite things:
- Jimmy Kimmel throw shade pretty much all the night with political comments. He also mocked President Donald Trump’s insults against Mery Streep. Kimmel also asked to the entire audience to give Streep a standing ovation that flood the theater with applauses.
- Viola Davis made historiy winning as Best Supporting Actress. She is the fisrt black woman to win an Emmy, a Tony and an Oscar. Viola and the audience were on tears during her acceptance speech.
- Jimmy Kimmel brought a random group of people who thought they were going to a museum exhibit but instead of that they were surprised attending for a while to the Oscars ceremony. They met the stars who were sitting in the first line. The tourists were from Chicago, one of them got the chance to hold a real Oscar trophy.
- Food flying from the roof to the stars’ hands. Candies, cookies, donuts and more Jimmy gave to the attendees. Oh, and he also hold Sunny Pawar recreating that famous scene from The Lion King.
- If you watch Jimmy Kimmel late night show you may remember his segment “Mean Tweets”,well, this time he did that but with tons of celebrities like Natalie Portman, Miles Teller, Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling and more.
- Don’t forget that feud between Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel. It was obvious that he was against Damon, and Damon against Kimmel. Kimmel turn music up when Damon was presenting. You guys have to watch it. It was hilarious.
- THE WORST MISTAKE EVER! Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway had to announced the winner as “Best Picture” and they read the wrong card, Warren Beatty said that La La Land won. When the entire cast and crew were on stage holding the trophy giving their speech, someone from the event productions showed up with the correct card saying that the award for Best Picture was for Moonligh. Definitely the worst ending for that night.
- One more time the stars from Fifty Shades Darker, Dakota Johnson & Jamie Dorman, showed us their 0% chemistry on-screen. They got to present an award together and they couldn’t look more uncomfortable.
Take a look at the winners list (and my predictions are crossed out):
La La Land Moonlight
Best Director: Damien Chazelle “La La Land”
Ryan Gosling Casey Affleck “Manchester by the Sea”
Best Actress: Emma Stone “La La Land”
Best Supporting Actor:
Lucas Hedges Mahershala Ali “Moonlight”
Best Supporting Actress:
Nicole Kidman Viola Davis “Fences”
Best Original Screenplay:
La La Land Manchester by the Sea
Best Adapted Screenplay:
Best Animated Feature Film: Zootopia
Best Foreign Language Film: The Salesman (Iran)
Best Feature Documentary: O.J.: Made in America
Best Short Documentary: The White Helmets
Best Live Action Short Film: Sing
Best Animated Short Film: Piper
Best Original Score: La La Land
Best Original Song: City of Stars from La La Land
Best Sound Editing:
La La Land Arrival
Best Sound Mixing:
La La Land Hacksaw Ridge
Best Production Design: La La Land
Best Cinematography: La La Land
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Suicide Squad
Best Costume Design:
La La Land Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Best Film Editing:
La La Land Hacksaw Ridge
Best Visual Effects:
Deepwater Horizon The Jungle Book
Last night was the very first Oscar that I watched completely. I really liked Jimmy Kimmel as the host, he did a great job. We watched the “wrong card” mistake on Miss Universe last year, but those were the OSCARS, I think that was the WORST MISTAKE EVER.
I was so happy when they announced La La Land as the winner, and then I was in shock, I guess I still in shock for that. La La Land didn’t break Titanic‘s record but at least they got 6 awards including Emma Stone as Best Actress. Trust me Casey Affleck winning that award surprised me a lot, that one was for Ryan Gosling.